Bogstadveien features many of the city's wide range of exclusive shops as well as entertainment, hotels and restaurants. The road is also known for the two annual car-free shopping events called the Bilfri Bogstadvei.
Bogstadveien stretches from the neighbourhood of Majorstuen to the neighbourhood of Hegdehaugen. The street was originally named Sørkedalsveien as it led to Sørkedalen, but was renamed to Bogstadveien when, in 1878, it was incorporated into Oslo. It was after the Bogstad Manor. In 1892, the street was extended in width to serve as the main street towards Majorstuen. On 2 March 1894, the first electric tramway line in Oslo, the Briskeby Line, was opened. The line runs through almost the entire street. In 1892, the street's width was extended to serve as an avenue from the Royal Palace. In 1932, the two last wooden houses in the street were demolished.
The writer Aasmund Olavsson Vinje lived in one of these houses, where he became friends with the painter Peder Balke. The writer Peter Christen Asbjørnsen also lived for a while in a house at the intersection of Bogstadveien and Rosenborggaten Street.
|This Norwegian road or road transport-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|